We are very happy to present to you the weaving traditions of Przeworsk and the Polish-Slovak borderland. Today, this vanishing profession, formerly pride of the region extolling Przeworsk and its surroundings, not only in Poland but also abroad. The Cross-Border Trail of Craftsmen is a project implemented by the Municipality of Przeworsk in partnership with the Regional Development Agency in Svidnik (Slovakia), co-financed by the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund under the Cross-Border Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Poland – Slovakia 2014-2020.
In the footsteps of the weavers
Retracing the weavers is a tourist trail leading through objects and places that are closely related to the traditions of the Polish-Slovak borderland. On the trail you will find 18 main facilities, as well as 2 additional ones: the open-air museum in Stara Lubowla and the Spiš Castle. The route has a cross-border character, which means that there are places and facilities located on both the Polish and Slovakian parts of the border area.
7 centuries of weaving history in the region of the route
Discover the twin cities
the cradle of Sub-Carpathian weaving
Once the main centre of economic life of Rzeszow’s Podgorze, mainly craftsmen emissions and trade. Traces of settlement in Przeworsk date back to the younger Stone Age. Stone hatchets and axes, knives or clay ceramics found in the area around the city come from 4500 BC. Moreover, due to the numerous archaeological artefacts in the area around the city, the period from the 1st century BC to the 5th century BC was described as Przeworsk culture. In the 14th century, Przeworsk was a private town of nobility, which belonged to the Tarnowski, then Ostrogski and ultimately Lubomirski families. Through efforts and skillful management, the Tarnowski managed to achieve a significant economic strengthening of Przeworsk.
the gateway of Eastern Slovak tradition
Svidnik is a historically rich centre of Ruthenian culture, located in eastern Slovakia, in the Prešov country, in the region of Sarysz. The city we know today is relatively young. It was established in 1944 from the merger of two small villages of Vyšný Svidník and Nižný Svidník. For centuries these villages have been located on a popular Trans-Carpathian trade route leading through the Dukielska Pass. It is assumed that Vyšný Svidník was established as early as the time of Wallachian colonization, i.e. in 1340 and was the first settlement in Ruthenians, and the first written records of the village date back to 1355.